High School Essay Contest
The Churchill Society of New Orleans sponsors a yearly essay contest for high school students in the Metropolitan New Orleans area, for the purpose of encouraging young people to learn more about the great man, and thereby to absorb some of his wisdom, his courage, and his masterful use of the English language.
The deadline for the 2014/2015 Essay Contest has passed! Please check here for details of next year’s essay contest (TBA).
Please address any questions about the contest to firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO ENTER
Churchill Society of New Orleans
5801 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70115
[accordion-item title=”2014-15 ESSAY TOPIC
Churchill mused, as he took the helm of Britain in May, 1940: “I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial”. What were some experiences that prepared him, and why was he the right man to take the job?
RESEARCHING AND OTHER HELPFUL TIPS
Students will find the following helpful:
Elsewhere on this web-site can be found an introduction to Churchill’s life and words, under the heading “WINSTON CHURCHILL – A BRIEF BIOGRAPHY”
The Society is happy to provide 3 short books about Churchill to any school that wishes to participate and asks for the books.
A member of the Board of the Churchill Society can come and speak to a class if requested.
A wealth of additional information about Churchill is available at www.winstonchurchill.org, the website of the national organization for Churchill fans known as The Churchill Centre.
1. Students at any high school located in Louisiana or Mississippi are eligible to participate.
2. The essay should address the Topic given above.
3. Essay should be between 500 and 1000 words, typed double spaced.
4. Essays will be judged on knowledge of Churchill, relevance to the Topic, and good use of the English language.
5. A student’s teacher and parents are encouraged to help with the research and to comment on essay drafts, but the student must produce the paper. We ask that the name of the teacher responsible for the student’s participation be provided on the Entry Form.
6. The deadline for submission of this year’s essay is March 31, 2015.
ONLINE ENTRY FORM
This contest has closed for 2015! Want to be notified about next year’s contest? Send an email to email@example.com